Cochabamba, Bolivia

Cochabamba, Bolivia
Cochabamba, Bolivia

Friday, December 23, 2011

Loud awakening

For most of us, who have grown up in the US, the Christmas season (aside from the shopping craziness) tends to be a peaceful, relaxing and usually joyful time.  I can remember quiet Christmas mornings where you try to hear Santa's footsteps through the night or try to sneak down a squeaky hallway to look at the tree and presents before your parents woke up.  All together, though, it was usually fairly quiet outside...especially if there was a recent snowfall and everyone was indoors.

Now, lets fast forward to the Dominican Republic... If you have lived in the DR, and probably some other Latin American countries, you recognize that Christmas is synonymous with chaos.  Chaos in the stores, chaos on the streets (more than normal!) and chaos with the celebrations.  Oftentimes in the evenings there will be loud street music until the wee hours of the morning, and for me, a night person, that's not so bad. I enjoy the festivities and watching people celebrate the season.  Well, most of the celebrations.  My neighborhood has apparently lost track of time and/or disregarded the "normal" festive hours that exist in the DR.  Our neighborhood festivities originate around 4am and usually end by 8am.  Yep, you heard it right...the party, music, singing and dancing all start outside my house at around 4am.  Now, it might be because the local corner store opens around that time for the early morning risers or it may be that all the clocks are broken in my neighborhood but my hypothesis is that they rest through the night to begin their day (night??) with joy.

So, this Christmas 2011, I thought I would share a piece of this "joy" with each of you.  As I was awakened for the second time somewhere after 6am (the first was around 4am) I decided to record a video so you could hear.  Let me say that I never left my house and all the recording is done from inside with windows and doors closed.  Enjoy!  Here's the link to the video: http://youtu.be/kKlIChtT_C4

Blessings, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
Kristy

No comments:

Post a Comment